Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Library Links


A couple of examples of the libraries posted on Curious Expeditions compendium of beautiful libraries. The above picture is from Hereford Cathedral Chained Library, Hereford, England. The first image is the Real Gabinete Portugues De Leitura, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.




This is the fairytale section from the Ann Arbor District Library, Fifth Avenue. It reminds me of the book The Borrowers by Mary Norton. I hadn't read it as a child but found it after reading Lawrence Weschler's book, Vermeer in Bosnia. In it there is the transcript of a radio program with Ira Glass, called This American Life. (It also appeared in Brick magazine at some point). Weschler and his eleven year old daughter Sara talk about an exchange of letters - her dad writes tiny letters to her from the borrowers, and she believes in them. It's about a "breach of trust without meaning to." It's a very moving piece about the magic of childhood and belief and trust.

The interesting thing about the fairy tale book section in the Ann Arbor library, is that the fairy business doesn't stop there. If you follow some links you'll see that the whole town has hidden these fairy doors in plain sight all over town. It's a tourist attraction I guess, but I think it says something about the adult belief in magic too.



I thought some of my friends at the Riverbend Branch of the Edmonton Public Library where I used to work might enjoy this post...I miss you guys!